Skip to main content
Ormond Beach Observer Monday, Feb. 10, 2020 1 month ago

Holly Hill man arrested in police standoff after he injured an OBPD officer and threatened to shoot more

This isn't the first time Dillon Calisi threatened law enforcement. In December, he was arrested after telling a DBPD officer he could kill him and his family.
by: Jarleene Almenas Associate Editor

Volusia County Sheriff's deputies arrested a 27-year-old convicted felon who kicked an Ormond Beach Police officer in the head and ended up in a two-and-a-half-hour standoff with law enforcement as he threatened to shoot officers, shoot himself, set off explosives, and shoot an infant whom he claimed was in the car; this was false. 

Dillon Calisi, a Holly Hill resident and gang member, got into a fight with the Ormond Beach Police officer around 2 a.m. at the Marathon Gas Station at 530 S. Atlantic Ave. on Sunday, Feb. 9, after the officer approached Calisi, and a passenger in his car, while responding to a call about people sleeping in a car on the property, according to VCSO and OBPD. Calisi struck the officer in the head and attempted to take his firearm and taser before fleeing the scene. The officer was treated at the hospital and released.

Dillon Calisi was also arrested on Dec. 7, 2019, for carrying ammunition and telling an officer he "could find his information on the dark web and kill him and his family," VCSO reported.

His vehicle was chased to Nova Road and Jersey Avenue, where VCSO reported that Calisi lost control and crashed shortly after 2:15 a.m. Deputies, Daytona Beach Police officer, Volusia County Beach Safety and Holly Hill Police converged to help OBPD. 

Calisi was armed with a handgun and refused to exit the vehicle. 911 audio released by VCSO reveals the man called dispatch and demanded Volusia County Sheriff Mike Chitwood be put on the phone before he started shooting officers. He also threatened to kill himself.

SWAT deputies were eventually able to remove Calisi from the car after deploying tear gas and a sting-ball grenade. Calisi's vehicle was on fire as deputies got him out. VCSP reported he was turned over to OBPD and then to Halifax Health for evaluation.

VCSO charged Calisi with fleeing or attempting to elude law enforcement, resisting arrest without violence and driving with a suspended license. OBPD charged him with aggravated battery of a law enforcement officer, resisting an officer with violence and depriving an officer of means of protection/communication. In addition, Calisi was arrested for two warrants from a December incident where Calisi was found carrying ammunition and told a Daytona Beach Police officer he "could find his information on the dark web and kill him and his family," VCSO reported.


Related Stories