Skip to main content
Selection Committee to meet for Pine Trail construction services
Ormond Beach Observer Thursday, Sep. 17, 2015 4 years ago

Man arrested after overnight standoff

by: Wayne Grant Real Estate Editor

A suspect has been arrested in attempted second degree murder and other charges.

Wayne Grant

News Editor

Ormond Beach police responded to a call about 1 a.m. on Sept. 16 concerning a person holding his wife and two children against their will at 93 Levee Lane.

After they arrived on scene, the suspect’s wife was able to flee to a neighbor’s house with the children, according to police spokesman Keith Walker.

The suspect, identified as Kevin Hamilton, 36, then smashed the front upstairs window and threw an interior door out of the window, Walker said.

Area residents were evacuated. Volusia County Sheriff’s Office hostage negotiators, the bomb squad and SWAT responded. As they approached the house about 8:30 a.m., Hamilton surrendered, Walker said.

Hamilton was charged with attempted second degree murder, domestic violence by strangulation, aggravated assault with a firearm and child abuse.

According to the incident report, Hamilton’s wife, Julie, the victim, said in a statement that her husband “snapped and went into a post traumatic stress disorder rage.” She said he choked her, pointed a shotgun at her, bit her and threw a wall photograph and toys at her. She said he had been drinking heavily.

At one point, the victim said the suspect was choking her and telling her how long it takes to cut off someone’s air circulation. She said he also twisted her neck.

She said she also feared at one point that he was going to shoot himself.

As she and the children ran out of the house, he was pointing the shotgun at her, she said.

The report stated that the victim had significant red marks, bite marks and bruising. In the residence, police founds a shotgun and revolver. The interior was in a “very destructive state,” the report said.

In an interview with police, the suspect said he could not remember anything. Later, he called and said he wanted to talk again to the police. According to the incident report, he then said everything the victim said was true.

Related Stories