Skip to main content
Cops Corner
Ormond Beach Observer Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2019 7 months ago

Man arrested in supermarket for stealing ribeye steaks

This week in Cops Corner...
by: Jarleene Almenas Associate Editor

Sept. 14

Ribeye runner

11:44 a.m. — 1500 block of West Granada Boulevard

Petit theft. A Daytona Beach man was arrested for shoplifting three ribeye steaks from a local supermarket. He admitted to the offense as soon as police conducted a traffic stop on his vehicle.

Police report the man obtained a backpack from the store and proceeded to fill it with the steaks, as well as some clothing before trying to leave the store. He was stopped by the loss prevention officer, at which point, the man dropped the backpack and ran off.

The supermarket seeks to pursue charges, and the man was taken to jail.

Sept. 15

Dude, where's my car?

8:49 p.m. — Old Trail

Stolen vehicle. An Ormond Beach resident called police to alert them that her vehicle was stolen from her driveway within a span of four hours. During the investigation, officers learned that the resident usually leaves the keys inside the car due to "living in a safe neighborhood," according to the report.

Coincidentally, the report notes that her vehicle had been spotted fleeing from another law enforcement agency that day, and that it had been observed in the Daytona area multiple times over the past couple of weeks. The resident maintained that she was the only person to have been in possession of the vehicle during the time span.

The resident's mother told police that she had never seen the vehicle before and didn't know that her daughter owned it. Police advised the resident of the consequences of filing a false report, but the resident still advised she'd like to press charges. 

Sept. 22

Outta lock

8:39 a.m. — 100 block of South Nova Road

Larceny. A local cafe employee became the victim of, not one, but two bicycle thefts in the matter of two days. 

Police report that the employee bought a new bike after his old one was stolen on Sept. 21. The next day, he arrived for work and locked up his bike to a metal bench in front of the cafe, where he was continuously checking in on it every five minutes. He clocked in to work at 8 a.m. 

By 8:30 a.m., his new bike was gone. So was the lock.

The employee gave police the name of an individual he felt had a "personal vendetta" against him, according to the report. But, since another bike was stolen from the same plaza that day, police believe the named subject isn't related to the case. The employee told police he'd like to pursue charges if a suspect is located.

Related Stories