Also in the Observer: Bucs finish strong at Blue and Silver Invitational, while the Sandcrabs struggle.
The Sandcrabs struggled heavily in the first inning against Matanzas on the night of Tuesday, Feb. 27, at the Ormond Beach Sports Complex. In the top of the first, the Pirates' lead-off hitter, short stop Ellie Hansen, ripped a triple to the left field wall to get into scoring position. The Pirates scored three runs in the inning to take a 3-1 lead over the Sandcrabs.
But that was it.
The Pirates were held scoreless over the final six innings, while Seabreeze scored five runs to take down the Pirates 6-3.
"Our pitcher started hitting her spots, and our defense settled in," Sandcrabs coach Meghan Bainbridge said.
The Sandcrabs took their first lead of the game in the fourth inning, following a 2 RBI double by No. 8-hitter Shayanne Bloodworth. Seabreeze tacked on two more runs in the final inning on a 2 RBI double by nine-hole hitter Isabel McLin.
It was Seabreeze's third win in four games.
"We hit the ball," Bainbridge said. "We work on our defense, and we work on hitting the ball. We were able to string some together tonight."
Bucs finish strong at Blue and Silver Invitational
Mainland’s track teams had a strong showing at the Blue and Silver Invitational on Feb. 24 at Deltona High School, with the boys and girls team both finishing in third place.
- 100-meter dash: Elijah White 11.58 (2nd), Shawn Daffin 11.63 (3rd).
- 200-meter dash: Steffan Mallory 22.50 (1st).
- 400-meter dash: D’marcus Adams 49.76 (1st), Malcolm Reed 51.97 (3rd).
- 110-meter hurdles: Adams 14.80 (1st), Lindon Cooper 17.07 (3rd).
- 300-meter hurdles: Cooper 41.88 (1st).
- 4x400 relay: Relay Team 3:25.31 (1st).
- Triple Jump: Mallory 12.7 meters (1st), Jose Aquilar 12.45 meters (3rd), Adrian Rivers 11.84 meters (5th).
- 100-meter dash: Cydney Wright 12.59 (1st), Camron Wright 12.98 (2nd).
- 200-meter dash: Cydney Wright 25.20 (1st), Camron Wright 26.77 (2nd), Shaniya Wilder 28.01 (4th).
- 400-meter dash: Grace Hawryluk 1:00.50 (1st).
- 100-meter hurdles: Summer Klein 19.74 (4th).
- 300-meter hurdles: Klein 54.85 (3rd).
- 4x100-meter relay: Relay Team 50.65 (1st).
- 4x400-meter relay: Relay Team 4:14.90 (1st).
- Triple Jump: Jessica Denton 8.92 meters (5th).
- Discus: Tyneshia Whipple 28.13 meters (2nd).
Seabreeze struggles at Blue and Silver Invitational
While the Buccaneers ran well at the Blue and Silver Invitational, the Sandcrabs struggled. The boys team finished in seventh place, while the girls team had an eighth-place showing.
- 800-meter run: Shane Brownrigg 2:04.29 (1st).
- 1,600-meter run: Brownrigg 4:34.27 (3rd).
- High Jump: Kimberly Collins 1.47 meters (4th).
- Long Jump: Azaline Thompson 4.89 meters (3rd).
- Shot Put: Ashley Khan 9.58 meters (2nd).