Skip to main content
Ormond Beach Observer Thursday, Mar. 26, 2020 1 week ago

Two dead after shooting involving five Ormond Beach Police officers

OBPD reported no officers were injured in the shooting in the 800 block of North Beach Street
by: Jarleene Almenas Associate Editor

A woman and man are dead after an officer-involved shooting Thursday afternoon in the 800 block of North Beach Street, Ormond Beach police reported.

Officers responded to the scene around 3:35 p.m., where a witness told police that a woman, later identified as 55-year-old Deanne Owsianiak, of Ormond Beach, had shot a man and still had the firearm, a press release stated. Police identified the man as her husband, 56-year-old David Owsianiak. 

According to the incident report, the couple had been fighting in the Halifax River over the gun when Deanna Owsianiak shot her husband. Deanne Owsianiak fired in the direction of the responding officers after they issued her commands, according to police, and five of the officers fired their guns back. 

OBPD Public Information Officer Keith Walker said none of the officers were injured. They have been placed on administrative leave, a "standard practice," while the Florida Department of Law Enforcement investigates the incident, the press release states. 

Walker said this was an isolated incident, and that there is no current threat to the community.

Ormond Beach Police Chief Jesse Godfrey read a statement in front of the police station on Thursday, March 26, saying that the officers involved "were called up to make what is perhaps the most difficult decision any police officerr has to make, and that is the use of deadly force."

"We are extremely saddened that there was a loss of life here in Ormond Beach," Godfrey said. "This is a tragedy for the families of the victim and the suspect, and this is a tragedy for the officers who were involved in the incident and their families. No police officer wants to be put in a situation where deadly force becomes necessary but these officer’s collective display of bravery, composure, and professionalism during an intense incident speaks volumes."

This story was updated at 7:03 p.m. on Friday, March 27. 

Related Stories