Skip to main content
Cops Corner
Ormond Beach Observer Tuesday, Apr. 30, 2019 1 year ago

Woman's phone is stolen, negotiates bucket of chicken for its return

This week on Cops Corner...
by: Jarleene Almenas Associate Editor

April 17

You lookin' for me?

10:30 a.m. — First block of Williamson Boulevard

Bomb threat. A local fast food joint had to be evacuated after the restaurant manager received a phone call advising that there was a bomb in the freezer. Police were later notified that a social media post was found in which a woman stated she had threatened the restaurant and "now they won't stop calling me." 

The woman then contacted police and told them her ex-girlfriend worked at the fast food restaurant. The two had gotten in an argument, she said, and that's when she mentioned the supposed bomb. She said someone called her back telling her there was a warrant for her arrest and that the restaurant was on lockdown, which was why she reached out to see if police were actually looking for her.

There was no bomb, and the woman was in a different state at the time of the call. Everything went back to normal at the restaurant.

April 19

Feeling crabby

11:43 a.m. — 1500 block of West Granada Boulevard

Petit theft. Police arrested a 66-year-old Ormond Beach man who tried to steal crab legs from a local supermarket. The store's loss prevention officer saw the man get the crab legs and place them in an empty shopping bag he got from his pocket, before attempting to leave. 

When police arrived and asked him why he stole the crab legs, the man said he didn't remember what he was thinking, and that he was hungry. He said he had come into the store to "buy a light." Due to failing to appear in court for other previous crimes, he was taken to jail.

April 25

Winner, winner, chicken dinner

1 a.m. — 700 block of South Nova Road

Larceny. A woman agreed to pay $100 and a bucket of chicken as ransom for her stolen phone, according to a police report. The South Carolina woman had left her cell phone at a local laundromat, and noticed once she had arrived back at her hotel. 

After texting the phone several times, the woman received a response and the person with her cell phone negotiated its return. The woman was supposed to meet the other person at the laundromat around noon the next day, but the person didn't show up. The police report didn't note if the woman had brought the bucket of chicken, as promised.

Related Stories