John Harrington typically gets 200 trees — this year he placed an order for 500.
John Harrington's Christmas trees are so freshly cut that he and his staff at The Arboretum have even had snowball fights with the remaining fluff that was left in the truck.
Though he never wants to bad mouth his big-box competitors, Harrington said last year, he had over 10 people buying Christmas trees in the first weeks of December because the ones they had purchased at the larger chains had already died.
"I've had leftover trees that I left out in the sun to dry up so I could burn them," he said, "and they've still been green by the end of February."
Normally, Harrington only gets about 200 to 250 trees every holiday season, but the increase in traffic he had last year motivated him to double his order.
"I think the big box stores cut them too early and refrigerate them somewhere," he said. "Mine are cut and loaded right on the tree. Some still have snow on them."
The Arboretum, located at 3065 FL-40 in Ormond Beach, expects to get its Christmas tree shipment on Nov. 25. Call 673-7800 for more info.
Where to buy live Christmas trees in Ormond Beach:
- The Arboretum, 3065 FL-40. Shipment in Nov. 25. Call 673-7800.
- Destination Daytona, 1637 N. U.S. 1. Shipment in Nov. 24 .
- Lowe's, 1340 W. Granada Blvd. Shipment in Nov. 25. Call 671-9112.
- Tomoka Christian Church, 1450 Hand Ave. Shipment in at the end of November, TBD. Call 677-6455.
Where to buy live Christmas trees in Palm Coast:
- Home Depot, 10 Garden St. N. Call 445-2497.
- Lowe's, 315 Cypress Edge Drive. Call 585-6000.