Check out the top sports moments for the March 12 edition of the Ormond Beach Observer!
- Johnny Brown, a former Mainland basketball star, announced he received an offer from Florida College, an NAIA program located in Temple Terrace. Brown, a 6-foot-8 versatile forward at Florida State College at Jacksonville, also holds an offer from Division I team Bethune-Cookman University.
- The Buccaneers' track and field team competed at the DeLand High School Big D Relays on Saturday, March 7. Mainland's girls team placed in the top 10 in 14 events. The 4x200-meter relay team won gold with a time of 1:45.82. The Buccaneers' boys team placed in the top 10 in 10 events. Taron Keith was the top finisher with a gold medal performance in the long jump (6.37 meters).
- Seabreeze's track and field team also competed at the DeLand High School Big D Relays.The Sandcrabs' girls team placed in the top 10 in nine events. Among them, Kimberly Collins earned a second-place finish in the high jump with a height of 1.47 meters. Collins also took fifth in the triple jump and sixth in the long jump with a distances of 9.47 meters and 4.55 meters, respectively. In addition, Cheyanne Justice finished sixth in the discus with a throw of 27.18 meters. On the boys side, the Sandcrabs placed in the top 10 in five events. The 4x100-meter relay team placed third with a time of 46.57, and Tyler Smith placed third in the high jump with a leap of 1.72 meters.
- Mainland's flag football team opened the 2020 season in a big way, defeating Deltona 42-0 the night of Thursday, March 5, at Deltona High School.
- Former Mainland football player D'Andre McMillan, who is currently a freshman running back at Murray State, announced that he has entered the transfer portal. McMillan had 18 carries for 87 yards and 14 receptions for 108 yards during the 2019-20 season.