Check out the top sports moments for the Feb. 27 edition of the Ormond Beach Observer!
- Former Buccaneers basketball player Johnny Brown, who currently plays college basketball for Florida State College at Jacksonville, announced that he recently picked up an offer from hometown team Bethune-Cookman University. Brown, a versatile power forward, was instrumental in the Buccaneers' rise the past few seasons. He graduated from Mainland in 2019.
- Mainland football player Theodore Lockley, who was a dynamic athlete who played both quarterback and wide receiver for the Buccaneers this past season, announced that he received an offer from Marshall University. Located in Huntington, West Virginia, the Thundering Herd are an NCAA Division I FBS program that plays in Conference USA.
- Mainland football's Everald Reid, a defensive back, announced that he went on an official visit to Edward Waters College. Located in Jacksonville, the Tigers are an NAIA program that plays in the Gulf Coast Athletic Conference.
- Seabreeze's track and field team competed at the Deltona Quad on Feb. 20. The girls team's Charlotte Harris won the 1,600-meter run with a time of 6:58.00. Kimberly Collins won both the high jump and the long jump. Cheyanne Justice won the discus. Annabelle Green won the shot put. And the girls relay team won the 4x100. In addition, the boys team's Christopher Lewis won the 100-meter and 200-meter dash. Trent Crick won the 800-meter, 1,600-meter and 3,200-meter run. Aaron Griffis won the 300-meter hurdles. Blake Justice won the discus and shot put. And the relay team won the 4x800.
- Want to train with Atlanta Falcons captain Ricardo Allen? Allen is hosting a camp on March 7 in Daytona Beach. The annual, free RA37Camp is open to current 6th-12th grade kids, and all defense, offense, and special teams positions from various levels of experience are welcome. Complete the registration form https://4thdownu.com/registration/ fbclid=IwAR3E7tZLu7LKWiBMEvs046OLqx4L3lHgr6iEjEaBDGTkbcaERTogdP3UDkc to reserve a spot. Space is limited.