Skip to main content
Check out the top sports moments for the Dec. 12 edition of the Ormond Beach Observer!
- Former Mainland football player Nathaniel "Tank" Dell announced that he is committed to the University of Houston. Dell, who left Alabama A&M after his freshman year, was one of the top junior college wide receivers in the country while he starred for Independence Community College.
- Meiko Dotson, a former defensive back for Mainland's football team, recorded his ninth interception of the season in Florida Atlantic's win over the University of Alabama-Birmingham in the Conference USA Championship. Dotson leads to the NCAA in interceptions this season.
- Former Seabreeze kicker Samuel Hayworth, who currently plays for Eastern Kentucky University, was added to the 2019 Academic All-District Team, as selected by the College Sports Information Directors of America. This season, he made 18-of-22 field goals and all 37 point-after attempts on his way to earning first team all-conference honors.
- Mainland basketball's Jordan Sears was named the 43rd-annual Tip-Off Classic Invitational's Most Valuable Player. He had 26 points, six rebounds, four assists and four steals in the finals against Seminole.
- Despite a winless season in 2018-19, Seabreeze's girls basketball is currently above .500. The Sandcrabs captured their fourth victory of the season after dismantling Halifax Academy 53-39.