Skip to main content
Check out the top sports moments for the Jan. 9 edition of the Ormond Beach Observer!
- Former Seabreeze football player Samuel Hayworth, a place kicker for Eastern Kentucky University, was named to the 2019 Academic All-America Team, as selected by the College Sports Information Directors of America. He was among the first EKU players chosen since 1987. EKU was the only school in the Ohio Valley Conference to have players on the Academic All-America Team.
- Mainland's girls basketball team picked up two-straight wins after its loss to Jones on Dec. 18. The Buccaneers defeated Martin County 52-36 and DeLand 55-37.
- Mainland's boys basketball team captured several wins over the past few weeks, including a 73-71 overtime victory at the City Beautiful Invitational and a 96-58 victory over Golden Gate at the Kelleher Firm Holiday Hoopfest.
- Mainland's girls soccer team, which won four games during the 2018-19 season, is on the rise. Despite a loss to Spruce Creek in their last game, the Buccaneers have a 6-5 overall record.
- Former Mainland football player Marcus Tatum announced that he's transferring from the University of Tennessee. Tatum, a 316-pound rising senior, posted on Twitter that he's transferring to the University of Central Florida.