Skip to main content
Check out the area's top sports moments!
- Mainland 2020 point guard Jordan Sears recently announced his commitment to Gardner-Webb University, a Division I program located in Boiling Springs, North Carolina, that plays in the Big South Conference. Sears, now a senior, will play an even more pivotal role for the Buccaneers this upcoming season.
- Seabreeze graduate Sam Hayworth, who is in his redshirt senior year at Eastern Kentucky, went 6-for-6 on extra points and nailed a 31-yard field goal in Eastern Kentucky's 53-7 victory over Valparaiso on Aug. 29.
- Former Florida Gators defensive back Jonathan Huggins has a new home. Huggins, who starred at Mainland in 2017, was recently dismissed from UF's team before the start of the 2019 season. The sophomore earned a roster spot at Robert Morris University, a Division I FCS program in Moon Township, Pennsylvania. Huggins had one solo tackle and one tackle for loss in the Colonials' season-opening loss to Buffalo on Aug. 29.
- The Buccaneers' volleyball team won its fifth straight game on Aug. 29, defeating Warner Christian Academy in straight sets on the road.
- Former Mainland and UF defensive end Jachai Polite, a third-round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft by the New York Jets, was recently cut by the Jets. He was picked up to play on the Seattle Seahawks' practice squad.