Check out the top sports moments for the March 5 edition of the Ormond Beach Observer!
- Seabreeze softball's Celeste DeLorenzo signed her national letter of intent to play collegiate softball at the University of South Carolina Upstate. Located in Spartanburg, USC Upstate is an NCAA Division I team that plays in the Big South Conference.
- Seabreeze's Connery Cassidy accepted an offer to join the University of Central Florida's women's rowing team. She has only been rowing since November, when she started rowing for the Halifax Rowing Association.
- Mainland football player Ja'Corey Benjamin, a 2021 cornerback, announced that he received an invitation to Junior Day the Charleston Southern University. Located in South Carolina, CSU is an NCAA Division I program that plays in the Big South Conference.
- Mainland's baseball team has started the season 2-0. The Buccaneers beat Crescent City 3-2 in the season opener on Feb. 25 and then took down Taylor 9-6 on Feb. 27. Both games were played at Mainland High School. Up next, the Buccaneers take on rival Atlantic at 4:30 p.m. Thursday, March 5, at Atlantic High School.
- Seabreeze and Mainland's softball teams met for their annual rivalry game the afternoon of Thursday, Feb. 27, at Mainland High School. The Sandcrabs dominated 14-3 for the Sandcrabs' first win of the season. The game was close after the first two innings, with Seabreeze leading 1-0. However, the Sandcrabs scored eight runs in the third frame and three runs in the fourth frame to take control of the game. The two teams will meet once more this season at 6:30 p.m. March 31 at the Ormond Beach Sports Complex.