A photo by Hugh Driscoll.
Ormond Beach photographer Hugh Driscoll — known for his incredible sunset photos — shared his best tips with The Ormond Beach Observer:
1. Use the rule of thirds or the golden ratio to set your horizon or whatever you want to focus on.
2. The best time for a sunrise/sunset photo is 15 minutes before or after the event. Though sometimes Hugh waits a half hour after sunset and gets the best photos.
3. Use tripod or set the camera on something before shooting.
4. Use a remote control or a timer for your camera. Pressing the button with your finger makes the camera shake and makes it blurry.
5. If you have a DSLR use aperture priority or manual to slow your shutter speed.
6. Use lakes or rivers or oceans to get the best reflections.
7. Put something interesting in the foreground like a animal, tree or person.
8. Most important bring and use bug spray!